About this Show

Greta Van Susteren

News/Business. (2012) New. (CC)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 760 (FOX NEWS HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Biden 23, Joe Biden 18, Wisconsin 7, Ryan 7, Libya 5, Us 5, Romney 5, Steve 4, Paul Ryan 4, Benghazi 4, America 3, Florida 3, Stephanie 3, Clinton 3, Iran 3, Dennis 3, Obama Administration 3, United States 2, Donald 2, U.s. 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    Greta Van Susteren    News/Business.   
   (2012) New. (CC)  

    October 12, 2012
    7:00 - 8:00pm PDT  

7:00pm
tie. and we will be back in a week, having the same conversation. >> sean: two more to go. >> that's right. >> sean: joe biden, really good debate. >> nice favor. [laughter] >> the kind of guy you don't want to be next to in a bar. >> sean: that's all the time we have left. irvetion grimace, sneer, smirk, laugh, whatever you call it, everybody is talking about it. >> joe took a couple of dpief-hour energy drinks beforehand, maybe he overdid it. obviously, he has very white teeth. >> i love that. >> he likes to grimas and grin as much as possible. >> here's someone tuning in, undecided, what you saw was a class act in paul ryan. saw somebody up for the job and joe biden was joe biden.
7:01pm
>> talk about the great recession, as if it fell out of the sky, like, oh, my goodness, where did it come from? >> i am aware that the consensus seems to be that biden was mean... rude... disrespectful. the joe biden that you saw last night is the democrat party. it is the modern democrat party, particularly the last 12 years. that's who they are. >> incredible. >> biden did exactly what was desired. in the process hurt himself and obottom aisle the vice-president is authentic. what you see is what you get. he didn't bring a bunch of political talking points like congressman ryan i think he reached a lot of americans. >> i don't think you should be laughing during a discussion about thermal nuclear war with iran. >> thank heavens we have these sanctions in place. >> however amused you are, it's about tone -- >> what do do you? >> i think he was sent on a mission because the president was just the opposite. he was very lethargic.
7:02pm
he was just the opposite of what you saw last night from biden. >> did you get a chance to watch the debate last night? now, i think you might agree with me that there was one person on stage who was thoughtful and respectful, steady and poised. the kind of person you want to turn to in a crisis. that was the next vice-president of the united states, paul ryan. >> you talk about him smiling. it's a matter of policy, when congressman ryan starts attacking the administration over the recovery act and the vice-president is smiling, i can tell you why he was smiling, he knew how hypocrital that was. >> i have a feeling, you have a few things to say. >> should al gore prepare biden. >> that reminded me when gore got over in bush's face back in 2000. >> that's the question in this campaign is about, not your philosophy and your position on the issue, but can you get things done?
7:03pm
i believe i can. >> these people are worried about taxes, social security, how to get out of the debt. have you old man biden laughing about it and laughing in a discussion about security and dead ambassadors, laughing about practically everything for the first half hour. i bet you a burve of young people did see an overbearing father that they think doesn't get t. i betcha. >> greta: today, the rnc chair, peeb -- reince priebus, calling the joe biden appearance, the smirk didn't work. >> that's right. >> greta: i expect the republican party not to be impressed with vice-president biden last night. smiles or no smiles. what was surprising to me was nbc's tom brokaw coming down hard on the vice-president for smirking about when we were talking about nuclear war with iran. >> i think serious people that looked at joe biden's behavior last night, they weren't impressed with t. even the people who thought that joe biden did an otherwise decent
7:04pm
job, also threw into the conversation, look, it may have been much better if he didn't distract everyone by his own actions. look, i thought that paul ryan displayed a real gentlemanly, decent, good-natured person that was intelligent, well versed on the issues and how he just sat there and took that embarrassing shrapnel. it was joe biden's mission to save the obama campaign, he would make a lousy lifeguard. i think he fell flat. i thought in the end, what this will be remembered for won't, unfortunately, be the substance, except of a couple of biden gaffes, it was his miserable behavior on the stage. it was sad for him because i don't think he's a nasty guy -- >> greta: people who know him like him. he's a nice guy itch it was a sad night for him, i think as a
7:05pm
person. >> greta: i think as a practical matter, it made... i assume, on the barksam campaign wanted it to be substantive and all we are talking about is the smirking. so for the most part, vice-presidential debates are in some ways, political theater. we are to see if the one on the ticket who we haven't seen before, whether he is up for the job. whether you agree with congressman ryan or not, he's up for the job. he is confident. but otherwise, it was just such a distraction itch the momentum is what matters. and so, even though i was impressed with paul, proud of the way he sat there and did a credible and intelligent job, when we walked into the auditorium, we had the momum. when we got in the car and drove back to the hotel, we still had the momentum in this race. tonight, we have the momentum in the race.
7:06pm
they didn't win anything. >> greta: did you talk to congressman ryan last night? >> di. >> greta: what sort of -- off substance did he have to say? >> i think he was feeling pretty good. he understood, i think, what joe biden was trying to pull off there. i don't think it worked. the debate coach, whoever was coaching him, i don't know it was ben holland or ed schultz, but whoever was coaching him gave him bad advice because it fell flat. i think paul did what he had to do, to be decent and to be smart and be persistent. >> greta: let me ask about the substance. the obama campaign has -- everyone sends statements to us all the time, what it says in part, romny romny and ryan wantt taxes by $250,000 for multi-millionaires and pay for it by raising taxes on the middle class. >> they keep on coming with this lie. they keep on coming.
7:07pm
barack obama tried that a week and-a-half ago in denver. it fell flat -- they haven't been able to produce anything. these guys are incredible. the first thing, where are the specifics? what are you talking about is this we are going to get lectured by the democrat and it is president and joe biden who haven't passed a budget in 3 and-a-half years, contrary to the law! we have the five-point plan that we go over and over and over. the 59-point plan, the widen-ryan plan, the ryan budget. we have plans coming out of our ear, they haven't done their job in four years, they have put the country in the ditch, they have nothing to do talk about. so they fall flat. they are going into a closing argument without a single good fact on their side. there isn't -- you can get the best lawyer in america to defend you, but if you have lousy faces, you are losing the case.
7:08pm
that's what the problem is. they are losing the case because they have no case. >> greta: strategy, tuesday night. i imagine that president obama is going to come prepared. i think he will be gunning for your candidate. >> but he has to have a case. he can come prepared. but eventually, he has to be able to tell the american people what he did right, why we are going broke, why people are out of work, why he couldn't get it done when he had a majority in the house and the senate. that's his problem. >> greta: but it will be interesting because it's town hall. >> that will be interesting. but in then, heville to account for his record. that's his problem. he cannot make a good case for the american people for the misery we have endured for four years on his watch. you know, i think he forgets he has been president for four years. i am sure that governor romney is going to remind him.
7:09pm
>> greta: now to the nation's most famous boss, donald trump. who would he hire for vice-president? we spoke with donald trump earlier tonight. donald, nice it talk to you. >> hi, greta. >> greta: all right. what do you think about last night's debate between the two vice-presidential candidates? >> i thought it was very interesting. i thought they both did a very, very good job. both of them. very different. different styles. different thoughts, different politics. but i thought they were both very effective. >> greta: did you learn anything new, substantively? >> i didn't like where joe biden was blaming the intelligence -- our intelligence groups because that was putting something off on people that i am not sure if that was so necessarily so -- >> greta: or worse, saying he was uninformed in the position to be infield. that's another problem. a rock and a hard plies that one. >> i was surprised that he did that. but i will say, i thought he was very effective. i thought they were both very
7:10pm
effective in very different ways. >> greta: how about the miling, sneering, smirking thing? did that bother you at all? >> i thought congressman ryan may call him out on that, like we have nothing to smile about. our country's in trouble. i was waiting for this. i think it would have been a great opportunity. yet i loved the job that congressman ryan did. it was so much of the smiling. now, because he wasn't called out on it, it was a way of disparaging the congressman and what he was saying. you could say it was effective because he wasn't called out. >> greta: the problem from the obama campaign, this is consuming so mitch of our attention, twitter went wild about it. it's all we are talking about, his behavior, how joe biden was acting, rather than any sort of obama/biden program or
7:11pm
presidency. i thought it was a huge distraction. >> i think he was really sent on a mission because the president was just the opposite. he was very lethargic. he was very, just the opposite of what you saw last night from biden. i think he went in there, whether himself or people testimonying him to do it, probably himself and maybe a combination of both, i think he had to be aggressive because the president was not aggressive, not aggressive at all. i being he really had no choice. i was very -- i would have been very surprised if he didn't act very aggressive, which he d. now, he interrupted a lot, and he smiled and laughed, you know, but the laugh was a disparaging laugh. but i think he had no choice because they needed something to energize them. you couldn't have somebody else go in quietly and get awiwith it, in my opinion. >> greta: okay. they may have energized their base with it. but do you wonder, i mean, the ultimate goal, i would think is to attract the undecided and independent votes. and while that may have revved
7:12pm
up his base, they were going to vote for him anyway. is it effective in terms of campaign strategy, do you think? >> i will tell nu25 days. the fact is that congressman ryan did very well in terms of polling with the independents and people who hadn't made up their mind. so you have somebody who may have -- he came across as a smart, young -- there was quite a difference, if you look at that from, that standpoint, as a smart, young guy. i think that is very attractive to the nation. >> greta: you didn't get a shoutout last night. but you got two, if my memory is correct at the presidential debate. none last night. >> i was extremely disappointed, extremely. but that's okay. i can live with it. >> greta: i don't know if anybody else has gotten a shoutout. >> i got four on the other debate. so i said to myself, what's going on. that was something. it was really a great honor. but last night, i got none. so that's okay, also. >> greta: what you do you make
7:13pm
of the fact that you got a shoutout last week? >> i was a little bit prized. not totally surprised. but a little surprised. it was an honor. he used me as an example of a rich person, having to do with taxes and lots of other things. you know, i think it was very comp plimentary. then mitt mentioned moo again, also, i think he might have been defending me. but i thought it was fine. i got a lot of publicity because everybody was talking about at this time next day. >> greta: when you came to work today, were the people talk about this debate last night, was the first discussion substantive or about the behavior, the way the smirking by vice-president biden? >> when i came to work this morning, i was on the today show because we announced the cast of the celebrity apprentice, which was quite exciting. but i was at nbc studio this is
7:14pm
morning at 7:30. i can tell you, that's all they were talking about -- >> greta: about substance i. i think a combination of both. i think that depending on who you are, a lot of people loved the job that ckman ryan di could see they had a democratic or an obama bent, they liked what bide pied was doing because he had energy. obama had no energy. with the obama -- with the obama debate, with mitt, there was no question as to who won. it wasn't like -- in fact, obama's people didn't even show up. and with this one, you know, at least people said, hey, they each had some very, very strong points. and they -- whether you liked the job that biden did or not, gret ahe was probably pretty effective at a minimum from the base. so the word over at nbc and the nbc studios, which is where a lot of this is emanating, was that it was a 50/50 debate, both
7:15pm
people did very well. you didn't hear that with the mitt romney/obama debate. that was a rout. >> greta: all right. the next mitt romney/president obama debate is next week. what do you expect president obama's going to do in light testify fact that he -- you know, he had a bad time last week? >> i think there is tremendous pressure on him. i really do. i don't think there is pressure on romney. there is always pressure. but i think there is tremendous pressure on president obama to perform because if he doesn't, it's going to be devastating. if he is and acts the way he did in the last debate, it will be, in my opinion... potentially election losing. so i think he is under tremendous pressure. then you say to yourself, why will he do better, if he did that poorly, why is he going to do better? i will say this, if you look at mitt romney, he's somebody that really does react well under
7:16pm
pressure because he went to florida. he had to have good debates against a great debater because as you know, newt is a terrific debater and terrific guy. and he did fantastically in those two debates. and so, you know, he really reacted well under pressure. he then went here and things weren't going great twasn't a great two weeks for him and he went under tremendous pressure. i think it was his finest performance, debate against president obama. so who is to say that president obama will do so well? maybe he won't. maybe he can't. irksz is there a lot of hostility in the business community against president obama? i heard what steve wynn last week said, wasn't going to be lectured by president obama and he was so fiercely -- he certainly had a lot of hostility or passion. is that sim nerght background?
7:17pm
>> steve's a friend of mine, he's a very passionate guy. he loves the country and his company and what he has done and he's proud of. it he doesn't want to be lectured about job creation because steve and myself and others have created thousands ad thousands of jobs. we don't have to be told by president obama about job creation. he has never created a job. i think there is tremendous hostility. there is no question about it. you saw that last week with steve. >> greta: he certainly was angry. >> he was angry. and he was disappointed. >> greta: indeed. donald, always nice to talk to you, thank you. >> thank you. >> greta: straight ahead, is vice-president bide nen trouble with secretary of state hint -- hillary clinton? and john bolton is here. breaking news that could impact the election in a swing state. the romney campaign just filed suit against the state of wisconsin. it has to do with the military.
7:18pm
the latest, coming up looking for a better place to put your cash? here's one you may not have thought of -- fidelity. now you don't have to go to a bank to get the things you want from a bank, like no-fee atms, all over the world. free checkwriting and mobile deposits. now depositing a check is as easy as taking a picture. free online bill payments. a highly acclaimed credit card with 2% cash back into your fidelity account. open a fidelity cash management account today and discover another reason serious investors are choosing fidelity. bp has paid overthe people of bp twenty-threeitment to the gulf. billion dollars to help those affected and to cover cleanup costs. today, the beaches and gulf are open, and many areas are reporting their best tourism seasons in years. d bp's also committed to america. we support nearly 250,000 jobs and invest more here than anywhere else. we're working to fuel america for generations to come.
7:19pm
our commitment has never been stronger.
7:20pm
anyone have occasional constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating? yeah. one phillips' colon health probiotic cap each day helps defend against these digestive issues with three strains of good bacteria. approved! [ female announcer ] live the regular life. phillips'.
7:21pm
[ female announcer ] live the regular life. extra curricular activities help provide a sense of identity and a path to success. joining the soccer team. getting help with math. going to prom. i want to learn to swim. it's hard to feel normal, when you can't do the normal things. to help, sleep train is collecting donations for the extra activities that, for most kids, are a normal part of growing up. not everyone can be a foster parent... but anyone can help a foster child. >> greta: ip-- incompetence, deceit or ideology? vice-president biden putting the
7:22pm
state department under the bus, claiming they never told the white house, the consulate in benghazi asked for extra protection. >> we wrnd toll they wanted more security. we did not know they want murder security. by the way, at the time, we were told exactly -- we said exactly what the intelligence community told us that they knew, that was the assessment as the intel gen community chaferred their viewrks we made it clear they changed their view. >> greta: today, governor romney, jumping all over those comments. >> yesterday, i raised questions about benghazi and the tragedy that occurred there. and there were more questions from last night because the vice-president directly contradicted the sworn testimony of state department officials. he is doubling down on denial. >> greta: the former u.n. bamboss dor, john bolton is here. >> incompetence, ideology or
7:23pm
coverup. but this is looking like the comedy routine of "who's on first"? >> i think vice-president biden really crossed an important line, reinforced today. they have dug a mote around the white house on the one hand and the state department and the intelligence community on the other. basically saying that the buck stopsa the state department, as ed henry asked the spokesman earlier today. if that's the case, one has to ask, what is the national security council staff for, if not to monitor what is going on at the state department to know where the security problems exist? don't forget, ambassadors are the president's personal representatives, obviously, they work for the state department. but the ambassador covers all of our agencies overseas and all presidential appointees. so to say, we didn't know about it is an admission of real failure on the part of the top management of the white house.
7:24pm
>> greta: what secretary of state clinton said today, she said that ambassador rice -- and ambassador rice did the sunday morning shows on sunday after the tuesday when it happened... said ambassador rice had the same information from the intelligence community that every other senior official did. i don't know if every other means the white house as well. but it sounds like she is saying it is the intelligence community that came up with this video protest idea, when they are now denying it -- that it was. >> the intelligence community has its own views. they will get their revenge in their own ways. but for the state department's secretary, hillary clinton, to sabsaying it was based on the intelligence community defies credibility. her own department was in real time communication at the consulate in benghazi when the attack was underway. the next day, obviously talking to them. forget what the intelligence community was saying, how about what the state department itself was saying?
7:25pm
irtion you know, this is the other thing, is that -- the omission, what is not there. and had there know been a protest, i suspect at a u.s. embassy or consulate before this -- before the explosion was at 9:40 p.m., let's say flfs a protest at 7:00 or 5:00 our 4:00 that, information i assume would have been relayed to headquarte. >> absolutely, absolutely. >> greta: there was no information of a protest, nothing? >> quite the contrary, business was going on as normal am they recognized that there was some security concern because ambassador stevens did not leave the compound that day. he was -- >> greta: it was 9/11. >> he was meeting other people, the last visitor was the turkish ambassador toward the end of the day. there had been no report of trouble for people getting into or out of the compound until then. >> greta: all right. now, though, the white house says, we don't know anything. that's the jay carney said they don't blame the president, don't blame the vice-president. don't blame me.
7:26pm
nobody told us. we are in the dark. >> there is no question, neither the president nor the vice-president will be involved in the nitty-gritty of hundreds of decisions around the world. but in a high-threat mission with evidence of al qaeda attacks against other missions, where for goodness sakes, the red cross has withdrawn with benghazi! which lives in the environment of war, thought it was too dangerous. that's something that the president and the vice-president, certainly, the secretary of state, should be aware of, all the time. >> greta: all right. nobel peace prize to the e.u., the european union. >> well, it could have been worse, they could have given it to barack obama again. this is the example of the trivialization and the polittization of the whole nobel peace prize process and a fundamental misconception about why europe is at peace. it is not the european union, it is because of american power and the nato alliance because we
7:27pm
sheltered europe in the cold war to give them the chance to work out some of their differences. >> greta: the eu. is failing, the economy is going under and they are creating another global crisis. the imf said, countries about to go bankrupt in the e.u., the idea that they are being rewarded a a morale boost treminded me of a pee wee league and a sports team and you give them all trophies because they are 6 years old and you want everyone to gets a trophy. this is not a success story. >> no, it is not. it contradicts the rationale of the prize. the argument for european integration is that war was caused by nationalism, so the way you avoid war in the future is tode reduce nationalism by forming the european union, yet what is happening? they are rioting in greece and in spain because of german dominance of the european
7:28pm
continent. >> greta: the chancellor of germany was in greece and they were calling her a nazi this last week. >> this doesn't look like the obliteration of nationalism. but the point is wrong, you know, in britain, their democracy didn't break down in the 20s and 30s and that's why britain is europeo-skeptic. they says is doing fine y. give it up. >> greta: thank you. >> thank you. >> greta: is vite biden trying to have it both ways, in libya and iran? you will hear what he said and hear from our political panel. that's next. also, breaking news out of wisconsin, the romney campaign is taking the state to court. why do they say wisconsin is vilathe the rights of our military members isn't latest, coming up so anyway, i've been to a lot of places.
7:29pm
you know, i've helped a lot of people save a lot of money. but today...( sfx: loud noise of large metal object hitting the ground) things have been a little strange. (sfx: sound of piano smashing) roadrunner: meep meep. meep meep? (sfx: loud thud sound) what a strange place. geico®. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
7:30pm
[ male announcer ] start with a simple idea. think. drink coffee. design something totally original. do it again. that's good. call in the engineers. call in the car guys. call in the nerds. build a prototype. mold it. shape it. love it. give it a starting price und 16 grand. uh-oh. the finance guys. you can't do that. [ male announcer ] kick out the finance guys. take it to the track. tweak. tweak. tweak. stop. take it to the car shows. call the critics. win some awards. making a groundbreaking car -- it's that easy. ♪ i took my son fishing every year.
7:31pm
we had a great spot, not easy to find, but worth it. but with copd making it hard to breathe, i thought those days might be over. so my doctor prescribed symbicort. it helps significantly improve my lung function starting within five minutes. symbicort doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. with symbicort, today i'm breathing better. and that means...fish on! symbicort is for copd including chronic bnchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. symbirt may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, d some eye problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. with copd, i thought i'd miss our family tradition. now symbicort significantly improves my lung function, starting within 5 minutes. and that makes a difference in my breathing. today, we're ready for whatever swims our way. ask your doctor about symbicort. i got my first prescription free. or click to learn more. [ male announcer ] if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help.
7:32pm
>> look, you can't have it both ways. but the obama administration, they are sure trying. vite biden blaming the intelligence community for ever-changing stories about libbia. but when it equals to ooh ran, the vice-president depressing total faith in the u.s. intelligence. >> when my friend talks about fissile material, they have to take this highly enriched uranium and get it from 20% up and have something to put it in. there is no weapon that the iranians have. both the israelis and we know we will know if they start the process of building a weapon. >> greta: which one is it? joining us, our political panel, steve hayes and bobcu sack and
7:33pm
jonathan strong. steve, you wrote about this today? >> yeah tstruck me as i was listening to vice-president biden, make on the one hand, the case that we really didn't know that much about what happened in libya and even after the fact, as woe tried to put together a narrative, we haven't known anything, it has taken more than two weeks to lay out a story for the administration and vite biden is saying they are clueless. they don't know what they are doing. and the next question, let's talk about iran. and she goes to vice-president biden and he says, we will know when they move to build a nuclear bomb because our intelligence capabilities are so great. you can't have it both ways. it's one or the other. and not only that, that's scare beour intelligence. >> maybe the obama administration is glad that the election is not about foreign policy. i mean, it is about the economy because they have stumbled so
7:34pm
badly on foreign policy. we are putting a timeline together of libya and it was amazing. there has been so much the last couple of week, you go back and look at all the contradictions, it is really unbelievable. i imagine if netanyahu was watching, he must have wanted to go through the television when biden said, let's calm down, the sanks are working. he clearly doesn't agree. >> i want to focus on the statement by biden that we didn't know they wanted more security. and then it comes out, he says, oh, well, myself, joe biden and president barack obama, we didn't personally know, but our administration knew. they are masters of escaping blame for things their administration does. if you remember in the beginning, whenonsulate released the video that romney was attack, he said that, wasn't us, that was our consulate. they continued to do this, to pin blame on their own administration. but it doesn't absolve them of guilt. two things. one is the political implication and whether or not the foreign
7:35pm
policy has any relevance in the election, come november. but the other, it is terrifying if, you know, with the quality of our intelligence, the fact that vice-president biden has those two views of our intelligence gathering, one question after another, that's terrifying. >> it is. but i think the question is joe biden scapegoating the intelligence community. is it possible that the intelligence community didn't tell the obama administration, for more than two weeks, as both stephanie cutter and joe biden claim last night? stephanie and her with bret baier and joe biden in the vice-presidential debate, that they didn't know and present them with good information? i find that incredibly hard to believe, not only because of the conversations i was having with intelligence officials, but reports from newsweek, saying we had intelligence that first night, we had intercepts talking about -- between al qaeda and the islamic terrorists and other
7:36pm
jihaddists, we knew from the very moment that the attacks took place that these were al qaeda-linked atabs that they were probably preplanned, that they were planned for the anniversary of 9/11 and you had the administration, five days later and the person of susan rice, say that -- disclaim all of that and president obama, on david letterman, on the 18th of september, a full week later, saying that it was this video -- >> greta: why? why -- >> i think we need to see the paper trail here. they are saying that they were told that -- that this is a spontaneous protest. where's memo isn't emails. they need to redact some of the information. but it's ridiculous on its face. we need the proof. >> it would be one thing if they said, we have an vrgz, but susan rice on the sunday hoes and the media knew more than them -- apparently. the video came out in july and all of a sudden, september 11, by coincidence and you have the deadly attacks. >> greta: why they send the u.n. ambassador to did this, that
7:37pm
seemed like an odd choice. >> looking back at it -- a lot of an odd choice. >> you were asking that question, early on, why isn't hillary clinton attaching herself. >> greta: i say she was smart enough to stay away from it. >> and stephanie cutter and the interview with bret, referred back to the memo that came from the office of the director of national intelligence. she said it was this memo that was produced by james clapper, the head of the office. it wasn't, in fact, signed by james clapper. it was his spokesman. a lot of thought goes into whose name goes on memos and documents -- james clapper didn't put his name on that, that tells me something. >> greta: coming up, the vice-president said he always says what he means. sounds like a good thing for democrat, right? unfortunately, want so fast. they may have turned -- that may have turned out to be a bafd slip. two minutes in florida, it became steaming hot, the triple-x kind. what did governor rick scott do
7:38pm
that made everyone sweat? r ] the rhythm of life. [ whistle blowing ] where do you hear that beat? campbell's healthy request soup lets you hear it... in your heart. [ basketball bouncing ] heart healthy. great taste. mmm... [ male announcer ] sounds good. it's amazing what soup can do. sven's home security gets the most rewards of any small business credit card! how does this thinwork? oh, i like it! [ garth ] sven's small business earns 2% casback on every purche, every day! woo-hoo!!! so that ten security gators, right? put them on my spark card! why settle for less? testing hot tar... great businesses deserve the most rewards! [ male announcer ] the ark business card from capital one. choose unlimited rewards with 2% cash back or double miles on every purchase, every day! what's in your wallet? here's your invoice. with less chronic osteoarthritis pain. imagine living your life with less chronic low back pain. imagine you, with less pain. cymbalta can help. cymbalta is fda-approved
7:39pm
to manage chronic musculoskeletal pain. one non-narcotic pill a day, every day, can help reduce this pain. tell your doctor right away if your mood worsens, you have unusual changes in mood or behavior or thoughts of suicide. antidepressants can increase these in children, teens, and young adults. cymbalta is not approved for children under 18. people taking maois or thioridazine or with uncontrolled glaucoma should not take cymbalta. taking it with nsaid pain relievers, aspirin, or blood thinners may increase bleeding risk. severe liver problems, some fatal, were reported. signs include abdominal pain and yellowing skin or eyes. tell your doctor about all your medicines, including those for migraine and while on cymbalta, call right away if you have high fever, confusion and stiff muscles or serious allergic skin reactions like blisters, peeling rash, hives, or mouth sores to address possible life-threatening conditions. talk about your alcohol use, liver diase and before you reduce or stop cymbalta. dizziness or fainting may ocr upon standing. ask your doctor about cymbalta. imagine you with less pain. cymbalta can help. go to cymbalta.com to learn about a free trial offer.
7:40pm
>> greta: the florida governor, rick scott, was suppose to the give out the phone number for the state's information hotline. but instead, he gave out the number of a phone sex line. that's right. the sex line was just one digit off from the meningitis hotline. a local radio station was monitoring the meeting live and it posted the sex line number on the web site. an alert listener discovered it and the radio station told the governor's office. governor scott gave out the right number, but not before some people accidentally call the the sex line. the governor's press office said it was experiencing a high volume of calls. if you want to hear the shocking call, go to gretawire.com. we are back in 2. ♪
7:41pm
keys, keys, keys, keys, keys. ♪ well, he's not very handsome ♪ to look at [ sighs ] ♪ oh, he's shaggy ♪ and he eats like a hog [ male announcer ] the volkswagen jetta. available with advanced keyless technology. control everything from your pocket, purse, or wherever. that's the power of german engineering. ♪ that dirt old egg-suckin' dog ♪
7:42pm
we don't let frequent heartburn come between us and what we love. so if you're one of them people who gets heartburn and then treats day afr day... block the acid with prilosec otc and don't get heartburn in the first place! [ male announcer ] e pill eachmorning. 24 hours. zero heartbur i've been a superintendentn for 30 some years at many different park service units across the united states. the only time i've ever had a break is when i was on maternity leave. i have retired from doing this one thing that i loved. now, i'm going to be able to have the time to explore something different. it's like another chapter.
7:43pm
>> well, it was a tough week on wall street wall three indexes closing down, more than 2%. nasdaq laning in the red for the sixth day in a row, the longest losing streak in nearly a year. consumer sentiment jumped to a five-year high, unexpectedly growing to the highest level since september 2007. americans are feeling better about the overall economy. oracle's ceo looking to go from tech to sport. the billionaire is interested in sports entertainment giant, the lakers and the staples center.
7:44pm
they are looking for starting bids of at least $10 billion. to find the fox business network in your area, go to fox business dot-com. giving you the power to prosper. >> greta: last night, paul ryan taking a friendly dig at the gaffe-prone vice-president and his response -- i say what i mean. but is that a good thing? take a look at the rnc's latest ad. >> i think the vice-president very well knows that sometimes the wors don't come out of your mouth the right way. i always say what i mean. i always say what i mean. >> he said, i think he can be ready, but right now, i don't believe he is. the presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training. >> i stand by the statement. >> i always say what i mean. >> you know the phrase you always use, obama and biden want to raise taxes by a trillion dollars. guess what? yes, we do. i always say what i mean.
7:45pm
look, guys, this is deadly ernest, man. this is deadly ernest. the middle class has been puried the last four years. >> greta: well, bob? >> that's pretty good. i mean you you gotta hand it to the rnc. i thought, you don't mean what you say when you mess up. i don't think he had any gaffes last night -- >> greta: except for that. >> except for that. >> greta: that gave them ammunition. >> it wasn't blatant. but that's a very effective way of turning that around. >> i think the ad was missing the classics like what he said about the cheerleaders on hard wood floors -- >> greta: i missed that one. >> [overlapping dialogue] >> we missed it. >> they do amazing things. it was verying isive. >> you get the triple-x thing going, the governor scott phone call. it's me on the video, actually. >> greta: boy, what did you think of the debate?
7:46pm
>> i mean, look, it was interesting. i think -- obviously the story coming out of the debate, there are charges and countercharges, the story coming out of the debate remains libya and what the vice-president said about libya. i think, good back and forth, yike there was a clean win. i mean, it's sort of interesting, last night, i think the consensus was it was more or less a tie. and that seems to have morphed overnight into this win by joe biden. by this morning, everybody wasauking about it like it was a win because he was louder and bigger. >> greta: bob, is libya going to come up at the town hall meeting? >> definitely. i agree, steve. it was debatable, who won. the big night is tuesday. we are not going to look back and say the biden debate and say, that made a big difference. obama -- the pressure is really on president obama. >> greta: are we going to see a different president obama this week? >> oh, yeah. we -- he will have a lot more energy. he can't come out like he did.
7:47pm
i don't know if he can win. i don't think it's in him. i think romney is a really good debeirut. >> greta: it's a town hall. i think the questions will originate more from the audience? >> i think it's a combination. but regardless, obamaha has to be on. he said he was too polite and he was taking heat for that. he won't be polite. >> but the risk for president obama, the thing that has him competitive is the fact that people like him. it's over discussed and it's true. >> greta: if he can remain likeable -- the other night, he seemed disinterested. i mean, you can like someone, but if you think the person is not interested in the job. he was detached. that's why i think the democrats were so happy. regardless of whether you think he won or lost, he had energy. he was aggressive. after the listless performance, they loved it. >> this is a much more dangerous
7:48pm
debate because it's more spontaneous with the intersections with the participants, clinton and george bush, there were some really powerful moments where people looked great or bad because of the spontaneity. >> greta: it will be interesting next week. thank you very much. straight ahead, breaking news that could impact the election, the romney campaign filed suit against theitate state of wisconsin. find out why next. mike rowe here at a ford dealer with a little q&a for fiona. tell me fiona, who's having a big tire event? your ford dealer. who has 11 major brands to choose from? your ford dealer. who's offering a rebate? your ford dealer. who has the low price tire guarantee... affording peace of mind to anyone who might be in the market for a new set of res? your ford dealer. i'm beginning to sense a pattern.
7:49pm
buy four select tires, get a $60 rebate. use the ford service credit credit card, get $60 more. that's up to $120. where did you get that sweater vest? your ford dealer. humans -- even when we cross our t's and dot our i's, we still run into problems. namely, other humans. which is why, at liberty mutual insurance, auto policies come with new car replacement and accident forgiveness if you qualify. see what else mes standard at libertymutual.com. liberty mutual insurance. responsibility. what's your policy? u can mix and match all day! [ male announcer ] don't miss red lobster's endless shrimp, just $14.99! try as mu as you like, an way you like! like parmesan crusted shrimp. hurry in, offer ends soon! i'm ryan isabell and i see food differently.
7:50pm
hurry in, offer ends soon! then don't miss sleep train's wbest rest event.st ever? you'll find sleep train's very best mattresses at the guaranteed lowest price. plus, pay no interest for 3 years on beautyrest black, stearns & foster, serta icomfort, even tempur-pedic. and rest even better with sleep train's risk-free 100-day money back guarantee. get your best rest ever from sleep train. superior service, best selection, lowest price, guaranteed. ♪ sleep train ♪ your ticket to a better night's sleep ♪
7:51pm
7:52pm
>> greta: this is a fox news alert. the romney campaign is suing the state of wisconsin. the campaign accusing the state of violating the voting rights of military members and other citizens living overseas. why? wisconsin missed a deadline to send out absentee ballots. griff jenkins has the latest. >> reporter: the romney campaign filed a lawsuit here in madison, against the government accountability board because 26 municipalities failed to meet the 45-day federal deadline to transmit ballots to military and overseas voters. it is a small number of ballots here, of which they are tracking, the romneyn says every service member deserves to have his or her vote
7:53pm
counted and one missed ballot is one too many. state representative evan nguyen is fighting it. >> they are fighting for our right to vote. they shouldn't be denied theirs because somebody back here didn't get their ballots out in time. >> reporter: kevin kennedy is the director of the government accountability board. what is going on with the military absentee ballot situation? we know, it's reported that upwards of almost 30 clerks missed a federal deadline to get it in. what is the situation now? >> basically, we have 26 of our 1851 clerks missed the deadline. but we have a number of redundancies in the system so we know all the voters got their ballots in a timely manner to mark them and get backpemthem back. we have electronic transmission, only one ballot was sent out after the deadline. the rest were delivered
7:54pm
electronically. the one sent by mail went to the state of georgia, to someone in basic training. we're confident and we're following up. there were a total of... 34 ballots that -- that were late delivered in the 26 municipalities. >> reporter: why would the romney campaign take legal action against and you sue you? >> well, this is a very sensitive subject. this is something that... you know, everybody takes very seriously. congress, you know, enacted the move act in 2009, so 2010 was the first time the provisions in were in place, insuring that the military and overseas vote rez were able to participate. this is a big commitment. people focused a lot of attention on the voters. for that reason, i think, it's important to try to track that, particularly, to identify the early breakdowns in the system. >> greta: and not just wisconsin, mississippi, and mishawaka gan also missed it.
7:55pm
a romney campaign spokesperson said we were monitoring other states. we were considering a suit in vermont, but the department of justice filed its own suit. so we are pleased that they took up the case. we will bring you more news when it happens. coming up, the last call. just br everybody agrees, vice-president biden did better than his boss in the debate. so what did the vice-president do that the president didn't? find out, income. find out, next. [ female announcer ] research suggests cell health plays a key role throughout our lives. one a day women's 50+ is a complete multivitamin designed for women's health concerns as we age. it has more of 7 antioxidants to support cell health. one a day 50+. yeah. then how'd i get this... [ voice of dennis ] ...safe driving bonus check? every six months without an accident, allstate sends a check. ok. [ voice of dennis ] silence. are you in good hands?
7:56pm
[ voice of dennis ] ♪ silence. ♪ we're lucky, >>it's n. >> love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru.
7:57pm
7:58pm
7:59pm
>> greta: 11:00 is almost here flash the studio lights it's time for last call. practice. is that the secret to good debate? here is jay leno. >> in anticipation for tonight's vice presidential debate. joe biden took six days off to prepare for it. president obama took three days off, well, three if you count the de